sca-cooks Intro

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Apr 11 21:38:57 PDT 1997

Greetings...

I can give you some insight on how  I set up my displays.  It was
tricky.  (I too live in Ansteorra...Bryn Gwlad now but Stargate in the
past).  Doing food is a nightmare.  First, I tried to pick a meal or
collection of dishes that would be educational on the food as well as
the customs surrounding how it was eaten.  I usually had my
documentation in a binder.....a 1 page discussion of what I did with the
recipes (original and redacted...whether I did the redaction or not).  I
would try and display the dishes in the manner they might have been set
on the table.  As for the types of food...that depended on the time of
year.  I would do middle eastern and roman during hotter months and then
do european dishes during the winter. I did NOT set up food at an
outdoor event in the summer without having a way to keep it cold or hot.
Try placing ice in a bowl and then placing the dish with the food on
top.  You can hide the ice a variety of ways. I'd use kale(decorative
green) or a cloth.  I also used candle warmers to keep hot food warm.
And then I rarely left my display....constantly heating up food for
people to taste.  I never wanted them to eat the food at the wrong
temperature....
I can give you more information....catch me at an event and I'll fill
you in on the details of some of my displays.

Meadhbh