sca-cooks Correction of Several errors

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 11 07:05:54 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << YE GODS! People maintain an on-board space for themselves at events they
>  cook for?>>
>
> No. The Shire makes sure that those who have worked to the point of
> exhaustion HAVE A PLACE TO SIT in case they need it. Ideally, the space is
> provided where one's household is seated.

Yes, we do that where I live, too. It's just that there are some of us
who get so intent (and intense) while working that we forget things like
beverages and chairs. At least as far as our own persons are concerned,
anyway.

>  <<Oh, Oh, Oh, aren't we grand? Pin a rose on me, mater, for I'm to be Queen
> of the May!>>
>
> This I hope is sarcasm or jealousy, yes? :-)  Actually, we do treat our
> Feastocrats and autocrats special. They deserve it. Having seen our
> feastocrats cook continuously without sleep for 24 or more hours on occasion,
> to be treated with concern and compassion does not seem to me to be
> unreasonable.

Both sarcasm and a tiny percentage of jealousy, actually.  Sometimes I
forget to put in little smiley faces in this particular medium. I think
that most groups are pretty considerate of those people that work their
events. If not, it may well be the fault of the cooks who are too
self-effacing, if that's the word I want. I have, to some extent,
deliberately cultivated an image of myself as a temperamental artist. It
has gotten me complete creative control of every feast I run, and
generally rather large budgets. I can easily make do with much less, but
it is more fun when you have the cash for things like venison or real,
fresh fish. I don't think anyone really considers me to be the prima
donna we all joke about, but from the level of consideration I receive
as a head cook, it would be an easy mistake to make.

>  <<Losing ten pounds in perspiration alone in a hot kitchen isn't good enough
> for you, eh?>>
>
> No it's not. I would prefer to lose 20 or 30 lbs.
>
>  <<Well, I'll tell you something, my Lady: >>
>
> I have been called many things in my life, but never have I been called a
> Lady! Don't know if I like it or not. I'll have to think about it.
>
> LORD Ras al Zib (the Reformed)

Sorry about that. I may have been responding to your message quoted by
someone else, and gotten the wrong idea of your gender. At least I
didn't call you "my good woman". Actually, that whole spiel was pretty
well lifted from one of the few really deathless Pythin routines,
something I don't often do, thank Heaven.

> Journeyman
> The Guilde of Ste. Martha
> Abhain Ciach Ghlas
> Aethelmearc

Again, sorry about any misunderstanding!

Adamantius