sca-cooks - subtleties

Fri Apr 11 07:57:46 PDT 1997

  I n reading the above I was shocked, to say the least. The "water" that was
  thrown away was ALMOND MILK. Since the description of making this "water" is
  very similar to the method for making almond milk, I would, humbly suggest
  that the wrong part was thrown away.

I threw away the almond "milk" because I didn't need it right then. You are
correct, however, that I threw away a good food.

The original recipe said (as far as I can tell) to use a cloth to sieve out
the liquid from the solid, and to mix one of them with sugar.  From the
language, it talks about taking the part out of the cloth, and mixing it
with the sugar...  I could be wrong.  What do you think?

                                       As for thickening, if a thickening agent
  wasn't specified, rys.....oops! > ;-) ....rice flour is very period and was
  used almost universally when eggs were not. However, if the whites were mixed
  with the almond milk and sweetened, this would have made a nice custard. Any
  tho'ts about this??

It also fails to mention thickening: yet so many recipes do explicitly
mention thickening (including recipes in this particular source).  So, while
rice flour does make a good period thickener, it isn't called for in this
recipe.  And, therefore, I did not use it.

You are correct about custards.  However, this is a recipe for "Eggs in
Lent", meaning that because of Lenten restrictions, eggs would not be eaten.
So, I consider that to be irrelevant to the making of *this* dish. Although
it would be yummy.  In fact, if one does not observe Lent, then I suspect
you could make a heck of a good custard with the "leavings" of this dish:
tha almond milk that I threw out, and the egg liquid that I disposed of.

I hadn't thought of that: and I'm glad you mentioned it.  Next time I make
this, that is what I shall do.

My Lord Ras, you seem to be an excellent cook: I look forward to your
reply.  I agree that your suggestions are marvelous, but I still doubt they
match the original recipe.  But, I am still learning about redactions.

	Tibor