sca-cooks Roast Chicken

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Fri Apr 11 11:54:47 PDT 1997

Janine wrote:
> I was planning on roasting a chicken this weekend.  Now, mundanely, I
> would either stuff it with bread stuffing, or some carrots, celery, onion,
> garlic and maybe some fresh herb.
>
> But, now, after being on this list (gosh, has it only been since
> Wednesday??!) I would like to make this a "period" chicken.

Here's a recipe I ran into years ago and have served several times to
non-SCA people with great success.  I _think_ it was from _Cury on
Inglysche_, but I'm not sure.

Stuff your fowl with hyssop (a plant in the mint family; look for it on
the "herbal teas" shelf at a natural foods store).  Put it on a rack
inside a pan with a tightly-fitting lid.  Pour spiced wine over it.
Make a "snake" of flour-water dough, use this to seal the lid onto the
pan, and bake (more precisely, steam over the spiced wine).  When done,
break off the now-hardened seal, pour off the spiced wine (which now
contains a lot of drippings), add sugar and currants to the liquid, and
serve it as a sauce for the fowl.

						Steve / Joshua