sca-cooks Cassia and ceylonica

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Fri Apr 11 13:58:52 PDT 1997

At 08:10 PM 4/10/97 -0400, Adamantius wrote:
>Terry Nutter wrote:
>
>>First, while ceylon and cassia are
>> not precisely the same, they are closely related (they are the only members
>> of the genus Cinamomum, being Cinamomum cassia and Cinamomum zeylonica).
>> And the bark of the two is not all that different.
>
>I'm sitting here about four seconds after examining the two; they look
>quite different to me. Ditto smell and taste.

Hey, guys, sounds like a perfectly good hands on class to me: Period Spices
and how they were used---A hands on sampling of various spices. What do you
say? I haven't perfected smellavision yet, so I can't tell which is which
from here. And, I can't count the number of times someone has wandered into
my kitchen and said "What's That?" and I've had to tell them "That's Grains
of Paradise, and you can do THIS with it..."

Yes, a class is a good thing. And  Spices are a perfect subject for a
cooking class at a site where there are no kitchen facilities avaiable for
the teacher.

Which of you is volunteering?

Aoife,  the sneaky, peace-loving cook
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957