sca-cooks Farmgirls Version

Alys of Foxdale foxdale at wolfstar.com
Sat Apr 12 09:05:06 PDT 1997

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Christi Redeker wrote:

> This is my version on the leaner vs. fattier meat deal.
>
> I was raised on a ranch and I know that any stock that graze out are
> going to be leaner than those fed by the rancher.
>
> During period times, I believe, most small farmers would have kept their
> cattle in pens due to not being able to allow them to graze out.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't most villages have
a common ground for the livestock to graze upon?  At least until the
Enclosure Act in the early 1800's?  I vaguely remember from reading
about the Act that the commons had been traditional for hundreds of
years, which by virtue of being plural hundreds, would place commons
in period.

Penned livestock would require being fed hay or grain every day -- the
pure expense of which might preclude ownership of beasts -- much
simpler to let them graze in meadows or commons than to put up hay, or
share grain that was needed by the household.

Alys