sca-cooks Farmgirls Version

Donna J. White skunkkiller at juno.com
Sun Apr 13 13:03:10 PDT 1997

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:03:21 -0500 gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
(Terry Nutter) writes:
>Hi, Katerine here.  Ealasaid writes:
>
>>I too react to some wines, usually reds, because of the sulfates.
>They
>>trigger migraines!!!
>
>Actually, the substance in wines that triggers migraines for many
>migraine
>sufferers is tyramine.  (There are a lot of tyramine-containing foods.
> Most
>migraine sufferers will get migraines from one or more of them, but
>which
>depends on the person.  I have no problem with any but red wines,
>which
>reliably give me a migraine if I drink more than 1 to 1 1/2 glasses.
>They
>don't give me migraines in sauces -- but then, I rarely consume more
>than
>the equivalent of 1 1/2 glasses of a sauce!)
>
>There are many things that could cause reactions of various kinds to
>various wines.  One person has mentioned sensitivity to sulfa and
>sulfa drugs.  Another thing that was a problem back in the early
>80s, but is far less so now, is sodium disulphite (or bisulphite,
>I forget precisely; both exist, and are different).  This is the
>stuff that was used in some wines, on salad bars, on fries, and
>various other stuff as a preservative, until they discovered just
>how many people respond anaphylactically to it.  It's bad for
>business to kill the customers; after a fair amount of press, most
>sources dropped the stuff like a hot rock.
>
>If you don't know what exactly it is that you respond to, it's hard
>to predict whether cooking the wine will help.  If your response is
>serious, simply avoid.  If it's mild, experiment.
>
>Cheers,
>
>-- Katerine/Terry

I know this is off subject, but if tyramine is the culprit, I have more
bad news for you.  Onions, garlic, tumeric, oregano, and other pungent
spices, as well as chocolate, and all citrus fruits are going to bother
you too.  Not to mention aged cheeses.  If this is the source of the
problem, you should seriously look into a headache clinic.  There are
several reputable clinics across the nation.  Check into a resource
called The Migrane Report (or something like that).  They have some
wonderful alternatives.  Another thing to consider is allergy remedies.
A good allergist can make your life soooooooooooo much easier to deal
with.  Not to mention biofeedback and ice massages.  Give it a try and
RELAXXXX!!!!!!!!!

Genevieve

My apologies to all who are annoyed by this breech of subject.  I just
felt compelled to offer what I have learned over my 25 years of migrane
suffering to a fellow sufferer.