SC - Re: sca-cooks kingdom feast differances

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Mon Apr 14 23:07:13 PDT 1997

>How do you know how much to give to each table?  How do you know that
>you are feeding the people who have paid?

As someone who has cooked several feasts here in Ansteorra now and
previously cooked several in the Kingdom of the East, I can answer this
to some extent. It is more difficult to accurately dish out the proper
amounts for the on-board folks.  I depend on the servers to make sure
that everyone gets a proper amount of food. (In Ansteorra, it is still
quite common to have folks volunteer to serve the entire feast. In the
East, at least at many events I attended, it was becoming more common for
1 person from each table to get the food and distribute it for the
table.) I have noticed more problems with tables being 'missed' here than
I did when living in the East and Atlantia.  Folks usually just let
someone know they have been missed or the servers go around and ask so it
usually gets solved quickly.  I just find out how many tables there are
and distribute the food among enough bowls for all the tables (unless one
is completely off-board). Even at feasts where the eaters are segregated
bowls are often passed around as one table eats more of one thing and
less of another.

Many events here give a feast token. However, I haven't noticed that its
ever been checked.  I believe it to be an honor thing. It would be
completely dishonorable to eat a feast that one had not paid for.  At
events in other kingdoms where segregation has occurred, nothing keeps
folks from signing up for the on-board spot when they paid off-board (and
I never saw anyone check the names on the seating chart to see if all
were in the right place!).

Clarissa