SC - Re: sca-cooks Pakoras

Leslie Watson Leslie.Wat at hwcn.org
Tue Apr 15 08:01:29 PDT 1997

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, James L. Matterer wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>   I'm new to the list and so therefore am "out of the loop" as far as
> the conversations here are concerned. Is there a recipe exchange or
> posting happening?
>    Just recently I've gotten into Indian (Asian) cooking. I'm busy
> tracking down the elusive recipe for Pakoras - batter-fried fruits &
> vegies, also done in "hush puppy" style. Is anyone familar with this
> dish? And does anyone know of a good recipe? What I've found so far
> isn't nealy as tasty as the Pakoras I've had in Indian restaurants and
> at Hindu temples. Don't know how period they are, though I'm sure they
> fit in the SCA time-range.
>
> Hope to meet lots of you!
>
> Master Ian

I have a recipie for Pakors

3/4 c Chick pea flour
1T ground corriander seeds
3/4 t salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2/3 c warm wter
1 teaspoon oil
 vegies of choice.  I like cauliflower

in bowl wisk together everything except the vegies.  set aside in a wrm
place for about 30 minutes

wash vegies and cut them into medium size peices

heat oil for deep frying

coat veggies in batter and fry in oil that when a peice of raw veg is
dropped in it it rises quickly to the top.

cook about 3 to five peices at a time to not over crowd the pot and so the
temperature of the oil does not become to low.  cook for about 3 to 4
minutes until the pakora is golden brown.  remove from oil and drain on
papeer towles.
 As for this being period.

My suspect that it is just by the ingredience.  and the metho of cooking
the Indian popilation like to think they invented deep frying as they
where frying food long before the Moslims invaded.  The early Jain
cononical from the 5th centry mentions frying food and gives them the name
of supakvam.  The Susruta  (4th centruy) calles articles fried in
clarified butter (ghee) ghrta taila pakvah.  Now that word itself is very
similar to the name of the mordern dish.  Another example of this is from
the fourth centry thor of the Angavijja name a number of foods as deep
fried as daka,saskuli, pupa,phenaka, utkarika and divalika.

>From the Susruta Su V 27 Angv,. p 180 it is mentioned that balls of wheat
flour stuffed with  vegtables and fried in oil called udumbara (hindi -
Hola)

I hope htis is what you where looking for.  My research on Indian food is
extensive so if you want any more info just ask.

Aibhilin of Skye