SC - Re: sca-cooks Re: Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

Ron Martino Jr yumitori at marsweb.com
Tue Apr 15 15:32:45 PDT 1997

> Just to play devil's advocate....  I quite understand growing up using what
> to some would be "heavy handed" spicing, but for what reason did this heavy
> use of spice start?  It is now tradition, but what were the origins?  And
> even if it weren't to cover the taste of meat going slightly "off", could it
> have been because the wild vegetables and gamier meat had stronger basic
> flavors which are balanced better by stronger spicing?
> Just a thought.
>
> Philippa

	Personal taste. Camp cooking for my household is an exercise in
frustration. I tend to like strongly spiced foods, the lady I fight for
doesn't care for even mild use of salt or pepper. Everyone else's
preference falls somewhere in the middle. While many of us originally
come from different areas of the country, which could have some bearing
on the issue, even two of the ladies who grew up together have very
different opinions on spice use.

	Consider the great differences in modern American regional cuisines.
The basic ingredients are often basically the same, but what a variety
of end results...

	Yumitori