SC - Re: Feast Logistics

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Apr 15 17:32:37 PDT 1997

Sir Gunthar writes:

>>  Before I really blew up, another member of our party took care of the
matter by talking with the head server.  The reason for this story is
that IMHO a Head Cook's main duty lies in the enjoyment of the feasters.
I truly  understand the stresses involved in cooking a feast but there
should always be someone to take care of the little disasters that always
happen during feasts.<<

One of the 'easiest' feasts I ever served was due to Lady Catriona of
Silver Rylle, EK, who took it upon herself to 'train' the servers.  Not
all were from our shire.  She got from me the specifics of exactly which
serving platters and bowls and serving utensils needed to be gotten back
to the kitchen quickly in order to be washed and ready for the next
course, just how many slices/ladles/et al were available for each diner,
which foods might have extras for refills--in short, everything a server
might need to know.  She had a list of the people for whom there were
special preparations--no mushrooms, or no whatever-allergies--and she did
all the talking to the servers and supervised.

At the last minute, the Feast Master is at the busiest, checking
everything and co-ordinating everything in the kitchen.  Having someone
like Cat take over is truly a blessing.  The problem lies in the fact
that most people don't want to be away from their friends during feast,
or let their own food get cold while they work.  Finding such a person to
do that job is not easy.  Some shires in the East give 1/2 price or even
free feasts to servers in order to get servers.  They show up just before
feast and there is not enough time to 'work with' them.  The last feast I
did, I told the soup servers that was all the soup.  They were back in a
few minutes, having served 1/3 the tables with large amounts, and they
wanted more.  That gives the Feast Master a bad rep, and isn't fair.  If
you can develop a good corps of servers, do so for your own peace of mind
and that of your diners.

Allison