SC - Spicing

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed Apr 16 08:10:50 PDT 1997

> <<  I quite understand growing up using what
>  > to some would be "heavy handed" spicing,  >>
>
> Where did this idea that period foods are heavily spiced come from? India,
> the Middle East, Thailand, Africa and many cultures use LOTS of spices but I
> would not term it's use as heavy handed. The inclusion of lots of different
> spices in a period recipe does not necessarily lend to the idea that they
> were used heavy handedly. What is the source of this, IMHO, eroneous belief?
> Any help would be welcome.
>
> Lord Ras (Uduido at aol.com)

I apologize to Lord Ras; his was the post that allowed me to hit upon this:

What do we mean by "heavy-handed?"

Some cuisines use "hot"/picante spices such as peppers.  Sometimes the amount
of the spice added overpowers the taste of the dish for me, but not for
others.  Other cuisines use lots of different spices combined in a dish.  Yet
others use significant amounts of only one or two (as I am fond of saying: you
can never have too much onion or garlic in anything -- my roommate has
threatened to leave if I put them on ice cream, but she's out of the country
right now).

Derdriu
swensel at brandegee.lm.com
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/