SC - Theme Feasts

Robin Hackett robin.hackett at wadsworth.org
Thu Apr 17 07:43:33 PDT 1997

Julleran wrote:

>>was a collection of "delicacies" tempered with enough pork or
>>raisen/fig pasties to satisfy timid eaters.
>>Leri
>>

>Ooh, I love raisins and figs. Could you post a recipe?
>
>Julleran

The recipe used for the filling is Fig and Raisin 'Cream' from Maggie
Black's "The Medieval Cookbook". At the top she quotes from "Curye on
Inglysch".

4 oz well-soaked dried figs
40z raisins
1 1/4 cup red wine (not too dry)
pinch black pepper
dash cinnamon
pinch gr cloves
dark brown sugar
rice flour
salt to taste

Drain figs, reserve liquid. Raisins,figs,wine,spices,sugar in pan to boil.
Process mix until smooth, using the reserved liquid if necessary. Cream
rice flour w/ reserve or wine and add to mix. Simmer until slightly
thickened. Season as desired w/ salt and more sugar.

The CI recipe calls for coloring with Saunders but I don't have much luck
with that. In order to get good color so much is added that the dish starts
to taste like wood. Food coloring can be substituted, I guess, or can be
left out entirely.

We made this dish to serve over ice cream or porridge and wound up putting
it into pastry dough as an aside. Best whim we've had so far!

Leri

robin.hackett at wadsworth.org