SC - Theme Feasts

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Thu Apr 17 07:42:28 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Leri writes:

>The CI recipe calls for coloring with Saunders but I don't have much luck
>with that. In order to get good color so much is added that the dish starts
>to taste like wood. Food coloring can be substituted, I guess, or can be
>left out entirely.

Just a quick thought.  There are several kinds of saunders available today,
distinguished primarily by color.  Of the three I've seen, one is a deep
red, one a sort of medium rosy brown, and one tan (there may be others).
The first saunders I got was of the second kind, and gave me the kind
of problem you describe.  Since getting the first, I haven't had that
trouble.  It colors dishes nicely, and imparts a lovely delicate flavor.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry