SC - Spiced Wine

Fri Apr 18 08:00:58 PDT 1997

          Since I am a hobby vintner and have not come across any recipes that
  included the offending spices and through conversations with professional
  vintnors who produce spiced wine, e.g. Brotherhood "Holiday" wine, have not
  found that these spices are used commercially, I still think that it would be
  OK (not authentic necessarily. :-)) to use most commercial spiced wine in the
  place of home-made Hippocras.

Of course it would.

But: since many hippocris recipes involve pouring wine through a strainer
filled with sugar and spices, it isn't all that hard to make hippocris from
scratch.  No brewing, cooking or other work required.

I've longed to find the time to teach a class (and research a class) on
"period beverages for the non-brewer".  And teach what commercial beverages
are appropriate and period inspired, or how to take commercial beverages,
and with very little effort, make a more inspiring drink.  Someday.

	Tibor