SC - SC: Candied Ginger

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sun Apr 20 11:33:02 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Dagonell asked why homemade crystalized ginger looked like
ginger root, while store-bought looks like brown crystals.  I have never made
crystalized ginger at home (the recipe I know calls for treatment in lye
made from wood ash; I don't know enough either about making lye or about
handling it safely to feel confident doing that).  However, I buy the stuff
regularly at co-ops when I live where I can get it.  The crystalized ginger
I've bought has always been yellow, not always dark, typically little slices
with some little lumps, and of course covered in sugar.  It looks fine.

I suggest this, because it may be an easier target to shoot for.  Peel and
slice the ginger first (much thicker than you would to eat; at a wild guess,
I'd say between a quarter and an eighth of an inch).  Then treat.

Good luck!

- -- Katerine/Terry