SC - fried fish and other foods

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Sun Apr 20 22:26:12 PDT 1997

On Wed. April 16, Lord Ras said:

>I served a fried fish at one of my feasts. Someone else was sent to buy the
>fish and they showed up with MUCH more than necessary.

I'm assuming you are talking about coating the fish in flour or batter
and frying it in grease or oil. (like British fish and chips?)

So, my question for anyone is, Is such fried food period? I'm wondering
about other meats too, not just fish. I thought fried chicken was from
the American South but I'm not sure.

If so, what was the cooking medium in period? Olive oil? lard? fish oil?
Did they use breading or just cook it in the oil?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  markh at risc.sps.mot.com