SC - Turnips a la Beauce

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.interquest.de
Tue Apr 22 03:26:30 PDT 1997

I for one am more interested in recipes I can use. I do not know
_period_ cooking but I do know my way around a kitchen and how to use
spices. If the original recipe and redaction are there, I can adjust
the recipe to my taste. I think this goes back to the creativity
thread.

Please continue to list the recipes or at least send them to me at
personal e-mail. I am learning a lot from lurking on the list and
hope to contribute in future after trying some of the recipes. My
resources are limited- I live in Germany as a military dependent and I
don't speak German very well, much less read it. The cookbook
section at the library is all for entertaining (officer wives). The
cookbook section at the bookstore is the size of a magazine rack at
7-11.

One thing I have found is that the vegetables and fruits over here
(Drachenwald) have a different flavor and size. Cucumbers average
twice the length of American cukes and have tendency towards a more
bitter flavor if not eaten immediately.  Carrots seem sweeter. Onions
are smaller and _definitely_ not as sweet. They also sell fresh herbs
in pots in the vegetable section for around 75 cents a pot.

And a tip for bread bakers, to get that hard crunchy crust with a
soft inside, either mist the bread with water every 10- 15 minutes
or put a heat-proof bowl of water in the bottom of the oven. This
simulates the steam that builds up in stone hearth ovens (according
to my Germany bread baking class). Also I was told that our whole
wheat flour is too fine. Look for the whole wheat or grain flours at
health food stores to simulate what they use over here.

Ysabeau of Prague
Vielburgen, Drachenwald
Baumholder Germany
Ysabeau at interquest.de