SC - (Fwd) [SCA-CAID:10641] Something on pasta

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Apr 29 11:45:18 PDT 1997

At 3:23 PM -0600 4/28/97, S.Thomas wrote:
>Jeanne Stapleton wrote:
>>

>>  The Folklore column in today's LA Times Food Section had a short bit
>>  of
>> interest to the ongoing "is pasta period" debate...
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>> (snip)
>
>Hi -
>
>I have a book called "Tacuinum Sanitatis", and in that book is an
>illusration of some ladies hanging noodles out to dry on a rack.  They
>sure look like long versions of the flat noodles you buy in the groceery
>store.
>
>Morgan of Hawksreach

I don't think anyone is arguing that pasta isn't period, given how often it
appears in the period cookbooks (losyns in 14th c. England, macaroni in
Platina, Rishta et. al. in the Islamic). The point of the Charles Perry
article is that there is no good evidence that it existed in classical
antiquity.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/