Re- SC - chicken on string

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Fri Aug 1 17:22:47 PDT 1997

Michael Macchione wrote:

> How about this scenario:
>
> You're always-meaning-well mother knows you like to cook and knows you
>
> enjoy "that Renaissance stuff", so she gets you a pasta maker for your
>
> birthday, On the grounds that you have to make her an authentic
> Medieval
> dish complete with home-made pasta.  She is imagining something along
> the
> lines of spaghetti and meatballs in a marinara sauce. (cringe).  What
> do
> you kind of dish would you make for her that would a) be period, b) be
>
> agood first run with the pasta maker, and c) not offend her "modern
> palate"???

First of all, plain old noodles with butter and cheese is period.  You
can't go far wrong with that, making plain noodles for your first
attempt, and serving them with butter and grated cheese on top.  You
might toss them in olive oil instead (also authentic), if you're afraid
she'll think that's the easy way out.  There's an old Italian reference
(I read it in an old TI article on cheese) to the grated cheese on top
being like the snow on Mount Olympus.

Other than that, noodle dishes abound, including variations of lasagne.

Rosalinde
- --
Donna Kenton * Rosalinde De Witte * donna at dabbler.com *
http://www.dabbler.com/