SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #227

Donna J. White skunkkiller at juno.com
Sun Aug 3 14:12:45 PDT 1997

> Steak-Pye with a French Pudding in the Pye
>
> Season your Steakes with Pepper, Salt, and Nutmeg: and let it stand in a tray
> an houre.  Then take a piece of the leanest of a Legge of Mutton, and Minse
> it small with Oxe Suit, and a few sweet Hearbes, topes of Young Time, a
> branch of Pennyroyal, two or three leaves of red Sage, grated bread, yolkes
> of Egges, sweet Creame, Razins of the Sunne:worke all together like a pudding
> with your hand stiffe, an drowle it round like balles, and put them in your
> Steakes in a deepe Coffin, with a good piece of sweet Butter, sprinckle a
> little Vergis on it, and bake it: then cut it up, and rowle Sage leaves in
> Butter, and frye them, and sticke them upright in your walles, and serve your
> Pye without a cover, with the iuyce of an Orenge or Lemmon.

OK - rather then sewing for pennsic (which I'm considerably worse at then
cooking, here goes -

Take pieces of raw meat, i;m guessing thin sliced top round or some
such, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg - let sit at room temp (covered).

Take some leg of lamb, minced, and in some suet (fat) and herbs (Margoram,
basil, rosemary), Thyme, pennyroyal, sage and mix into s stiff dough with
fresh bread crubms, a couple egg yolks, raisens and cream.  (You want something
you can shape.)  Roll this into a ball and then wrap your meat around it,
putting the closure down.  Put these wrapped balls into a coffin/pie crust
of choice with lots of butter, sprinkle with a bit of vineger/verjuise and
bake COVERED (with either more pie or some other top) for about 30-35min at
around 325.  Cut the top of.  Create a garnish of fried sage leaves (be
careful not to overcook as they'll get limp) and stick them in the walls
and around the top of the coffin, serve uncovered with Orange or Lemon
joice sprinkled lightly over at the last minute.

Thoughts?

Ruadh

(ok. ok.  I'll go sew now - well, as soon as i finish my email :-)

- --