Re- SC - chicken on string

Mon Aug 4 05:46:40 PDT 1997

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Carla S. Tucker wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:14:25 -0400 (EDT) Aldyth at aol.com writes:
>
> >Steak-Pye with a French Pudding in the Pye
> >
> >Season your Steakes with Pepper, Salt, and Nutmeg: and let it stand in a
> >tray an houre.  Then take a piece of the leanest of a Legge of Mutton,
> and
> >Minse it small with Oxe Suit, and a few sweet Hearbes, topes of Young
> >Time, a branch of Pennyroyal, two or three leaves of red Sage, grated
>
> A word of caution on pennyroyal...I have read that it can cause abortion
> in the early stages of pregnancy.  I couldn't say if the amount called
> for would be harmful or not.
>
> Carla
> Tuckers323 at juno.com

Carla, not to worry about the amount of pennyroyal you would use for
seasoning. The essential oil of the herb has been used in abortion attempts,
often fatally for both fetus and mother, but the quantity required for this
is over a teaspoon of the *oil*, which would require *pounds* of the herb to
be ingested. It's probably a good idea for pregnant women to avoid the herb
in all its forms, but a litttle used as a seasoning would be a very small
risk indeed.

Ceridwen