SC - Bread

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Mon Aug 4 10:46:03 PDT 1997

Okay everyone, I stopped reading my mail at this point and redacted this immediately.  Again, if I came up with the same results as someone else, please forgive.

I took the recipe step by step and redacted each step to check translation.

"Benes yfryed. Take benes and see6 hem almost til 6ey bersten. Take and
wryng out 6e water clene. Do 6erto oynouns ysode and ymynced, and garlec
6erwith; frye hem in oile o6er in grece, & do 6erto powder douce, &
serue it forth."

1 1/2 cup dried fava beans
1/2 cup of minced white onion
1 clove garlic
1 t. powder douce (or the mixture below using 1/4 t. ginger, 1/4 t. cinnamon,
      1/8 t. cloves, 1/8 t. anise)

Take benes and see6 hem almost til 6ey bersten.

Take dried fava beans and boil them in water until they are soft.

Take and wryng out 6e water clene.

Strain the beans and then I would re rinse them until there is no dirt in the water, only clean water runs through them.  Then I would take a towel and pat them slightly dry.

. Do 6erto oynouns ysode and ymynced, and garlec
6erwith; frye hem in oile o6er in grece, & do 6erto powder douce

I would take white onions and mince them, then mince one clove of garlic.  I would sauté them in olive oil or lard since I do not know what oil would be available.    Adding powder douce, or if I did not have any (which I don't) I would mix ginger, cinnamon cloves and anise (which I believe is what was described to me as being this spice).

After the onions turned clear I would add the beans, stirring constantly to keep them from sticking, them remove for the heat.  Serving immediately