SC - test cooking

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Mon Aug 4 11:02:54 PDT 1997

Katerine writes:

> >"Benes yfryed. Take benes and see6 hem almost til 6ey bersten. Take and
> >wryng out 6e water clene. Do 6erto oynouns ysode and ymynced, and garlec
> >6erwith; frye hem in oile o6er in grece, & do 6erto powder douce, &
> >serue it forth."
> Onions are always boiled
> before using (at least parboiled) in medieval recipes, though why I
> couldn't tell you.
> Take two onions.  Mince and boil, then strain out and add to beans.

I too have seen a lot of medieval recipes that say "onions parboiled and
minced".  I notice that Katerine has chosen to reverse the order of the
verbs in her redaction, perhaps because parboiled whole onions are REALLY
HARD TO CHOP!  The outermost layer gets really slippery and a bit slimy.
Yet the recipes CONSISTENTLY say "ysode and ymynced" or the equivalent,
always in that order as far as I've noticed.  Any ideas?

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/