SC - Re: SCA myths

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 4 12:20:07 PDT 1997

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 4-Aug-97 Re: SC - Re: SCA
myths by Stephen Bloch at adl15.adel
> Although I consider it quite likely that "some vegetables were often
> eaten raw" (and fruits, for that matter, although medieval medical books
> seem to consider both unhealthy), and that the "recipes" were too simple
> to write down, I wonder what evidence we DO have for the practice.

There are period recipes for herb salad that don't require cooking.
Platina mentions eating various greens raw, including lettece, colewort,
endive, ox-tongue, purslain, and chicory.  There is also a mention that
eating turnips without cooking them causes inflammations and
obstructions, which I believe is an indication that they were
occasionally eaten raw.

toodles, margaret