SC - Re: help please

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Tue Aug 5 08:40:29 PDT 1997

Unto the saffron discourse:

> My suspicion is that you are buying tiny amounts of saffron for too
> much
> money.*.........................................*You can pay even less
> for an ounce, in a
> little tin box the size of your closed fist. That can run somewhere,
> roughly, between thirty and fifty dollars, but that's an awful lot of
> saffron, perhaps enough to make your chicken recipe roughly 240 times
> over.......................................... I just didn't want you
> to be made, by random
> circumstance, to feel that saffron was somehow an unimaginable luxury.

**** The other, sometimes hidden reality is that there are different
grades of this "gilded" spice.  The true variety of croqus that gives
its little stamens for our delight is a very expensive commodity, $250
or more a pound.  It does require the magnitude of 10,000 stamen to make
a pound, though.  There is a variety of that plant that yields a lower
cost product that is very similar in performance.  It's like cinnamon
stick.......you got your pure variety and the cheeper South American
'knock off' that does quite well, but is just shy of replication.

fra niccolo (the frugal friar)