SC - saffron substitute

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Tue Aug 5 10:47:40 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Juana Teresa asks whether saffron that is identified as
"Spanish" is better than ordinary.  Here's the best answer I can give.

In modern use, saffron is the stamens of a crocus (I believe that the
alternative crocus that can be used isn't any more, but I may be wrong).
Safflower stamens are sometimes used as a substitute, and very occasionally
sold under the name "saffron".  The latter is a variety of fraud.

"Spanish saffron" should be crocus stamens that were grown and harvested
in Spain.  While the Spanish climate seems to be good for saffron, I don't
know that it's enough better than others to produce a noticeably different
spice.

It shouldn't be safflower -- but nothing labeled "saffron" should, and some
things are.  People who will lie about what it is, will also lie about
what variety of what it is.

A better protection than the label is knowing the provider.  (Once you've
worked with saffron for a while, you can tell it from safflower anyhow.)

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry