SC - skirret, succession-houses and nettles

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Wed Aug 6 12:57:16 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Mairi responds to me:

>> The OED documents the word "greenhouse" back to 1664; how far back
>> greenhouses themselves go, I know not.

>Try checking under 'forcing house' I'm not sure if that's a modern term
>or old one, but it is another name for a greenhouse, hotbed or
>coldframe, all of which can be used to start plants, keep the frost off
>of them to keep tender ones over the winter or to speed up growth during
>colder months.....Mairi

OED dates "forcing house" to 1870; so far, the winner is "hotbed", which
gets back to 1626.  ("Coldframe" doesn't appear at all.)

I rather suspect that an encyclopedia would work better, but ours are
still packed.  Of course, something on the history of gardening would
work better yet, but we have none, packed or otherwise.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry