SC - Another Novice Recipe Challenge

Fri Aug 8 06:43:20 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Gunthar said:
>
> >Parboiling would leech out much of the acids of the onion but still retain
> some of the
> >"crunch" as well as some of the acids from the center.
>
> Do you mean that if I parboil my onions first I can eliminate the fumes which
> make
> my eyes water?
>
> Stefan li Rous asks hopefully.

One tip that I've found that works everytime is to light a candle near
the work surface (being careful of course not to get it anywhere where
you'd accidently burn yourself).  The flame burns up the "gasses" before
they get to your nose or your eyes.  I can do some pretty strong onions
with narry a tear.

Linneah
(Who knows that Chevrolet is really a small goat cheese)