SC - Another Novice Recipe Challenge

Kerry Romano linneah at BellSouth.net
Mon Aug 11 03:17:34 PDT 1997

Anne-Marie asks about recipe formatting:

>How do you like to see a reecipe formated? Me, I like the original text,
>and lots of specific citations and footnotes to bakc up any claims made
>by the author. Then would come the modern recipe, with explainations for
>any deviance from the original (ie we couldn't find isinglass, so we used
>gelatin).

Yes, this is what I want now. A year ago, I would have been happy with
just the modern redaction. I'm still not very good at redacting, but I
can look at the original recipe and think "How did the author get *that*
given *this*. Or no, this ingredient is New World or unlikely so I don't
like this redaction. If it is translated, I want to see the original, the
translation and the redaction.

And I prefer the original recipe rather than just a referance. I don't
have all these neat original recipe books to go looking it up in, although
some of them are on my shopping list. Even with them, it is easier to
have the original recipe on the same page or near the redaction so the
reader doesn't have to go find the original book and recipe.

And I too, was thinking that there might be a problem with my server
when I didn't get a digest Friday or Saturday or most of Sunday. Particularly
when last week I got several on some days.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com