SC - succession-houses

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Thu Aug 14 08:00:03 PDT 1997

This bounced when I auto-replied it--trying again.  Don't you all just love
computers?

Subject: Re[2]: SC - lombardy custard
Author:  Chuck Diters at 7AN~RW
Date:    8/13/97 8:33 AM

     Katerine/Terry wrote:  (snip)  Since cream in those days was neither
     pasteurized nor combined with milk (as even modern heavy cream is,
     because dairies can legally do it and save money thereby), my
     suspicion is that they would have been using a much heavier cream, and
     the straining may have been encouraging the fats to harden, thickening
     it further, rather than introducing air. (snip)

        I recall a particularly tasty dessert at a restaurant on Ile
     d'Orleans called L'Atre (this was in the late 60's) that consisted
     simply of fresh bread with maple sugar, run under a broiler, and
     topped with the heaviest of heavy cream from the farm's own cows.  As
     I recall, the cream was not thickened in any mechanical way, and
     already had nearly the consistency of modern "whipped" cream.  (In
     other words, I suspect K/T is close to the mark here.)

                                        Chuck/Bjarni

     Chuck Diters/Bjarni Edwardsson                     West/Oertha/Eskalya
     Shadowood Manor, 9541 Victor Road, Anchorage, AK 99515-1470
     ph:  (907)344-5753                    Email: chuck_diters at mail.fws.gov
     "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's
     too dark to read."--Groucho Marx