SC - succession-houses

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Thu Aug 14 12:19:10 PDT 1997

Hi,

Just thinking about the discussion on succession-houses.  Perhaps
trying the word orangery might help.  I believe that the orangery
also served as a ball/supper room in summer (solid rooves meant that
the plants couldn't stay in there all year round).  The Conservatory
Book, by Peter Marston, is very informative on the history of such
things (with photographs of extant buildings and contemporary
pictures of noteworthy but now defunct buildings.  I've sent this a
second time because I don't think it reached you the first time.
My apologies if it did and this is a double-up.

Cairistiona
(Christina van Tets)

Dr. Ian van Tets
Dept. of Zoology
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701 RSA

ph: +27 +21 650 3641 (w), 650 3301 (fax), 47 5324 (H)