SC - Off Topic

Sabia sabia at unm.edu
Fri Aug 15 13:29:20 PDT 1997

At 10:13 PM 8/12/97 -0400,  Mistress Sincgiefu/Cindy Renfrow wrote:

>Does anyone have any insight into these instructions to "streyne hem all
>[th]orgh a straynour till hit be so thik that it woll bere him self" ?  I
>tried beating all together, but it never got as thick as described.  Could
>this mean we are to make "whipped" cream, "so thik that it woll bere him
>self", and then fold in the beaten eggs?  Has anyone tried this? (I ran out
>of cream before I ran out of interpretations...)

<snip ......>

>Harleian MS. 4016
>27 Custard lumbarde.  Take good creme, and yolkes And white of egges, and
>breke hem thereto, and streyne hem all [th]orgh a straynour till hit be so
>thik that it woll bere him self; And take faire Mary, And Dates, cutte in
>ij. or iij. and prunes, and put hem in faire coffyns of paast; And then put
>[th]e coffyn in an oven, And lete hem bake till thei be hard, And then
>drawe hem oute, and putte the licoure into [th]e Coffyns, and put hem into
>[th]e oven ayen, And lete hem bake till they be ynogh, but cast sugur and
>salt in [th]i licour whan ye putte hit into [th]e coffyns; And if hit be in
>lenton, take creme of Almondes, And leve the egges And the Mary.

   Personally, I recall a frustrating afternoon trying to get a halwa recipe to
thicken.  After two hours, as the time of the Cooking Club dinner drew close,
in desperation I cranked up the heat to maximum and stirred as fast as I
could.  It finally boiled down enough to be moderately stiff.  The next
weekend a woman sounding nearly in tears telephoned asking how to
get the halwa to thicken.  She had encountered the same problem.
Personally, I think that sometimes recipes are simply in error.
Caveat redactor.

W. Roy Wessel                      | rwessel at abwam.com            |
W. Roy Wessel & Associates         |                              |
3545 Arthur Court, #3              |  Voice: (303) 444-5004       |
Boulder, CO 80304-2031             |                              |
"Times change: it was once the custom to take a bath weekly and to exercise
religion daily."
- --C.E."Ted" Andrews