SC - Anise question

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 20:09:50 PDT 1997

On 18 Aug 97 at 16:57, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Kea ErisDottir wrote:
>
> > I am a blacksmith and technology researcher whose preferred medium is
> > fire(surprise) and am the perpetrator of the ongoing Iron furnace research
> > at Pennsic.  Recently, I have become very interested in how cooking related
> > fire works.  In the last 3 years, I have built two beehive style ovens at
> > the Pennsic War and have also undertaken building one in the back yard, as
> > a means to study both their use and maintenance.
> >
> > Anyone who could send/direct me to good resources for recipes and related
> > information(in modern english, please) would be very appreciated.
>
> Suggest you take a look at "Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book", dated
> 1604. Hilary Spurling, ed., copyright Hilary Spurling, 1986, Viking
> Penguin, Inc., New York ISBN 0-670-81592-6. This has several recipes for
> baked goods which are described in a relative sequence indicating which
> items are put into the [hot] oven first, which ones are then baked at a
> moderate heat, and which ones as the oven becomes cool again. Of course,
> we don't really know that much about how hot the oven needs to get, with
> how big a fire and for how long it is heated. I suppose if you follow a
> bread recipe and tinker with the process until the bread is fully cooked
> but not burned, then you'd have a pretty good idea.

Another good book on the use of beehive ovens for baking is "English Bread and
Yeast Cookery" by Elizabeth David, New American Edition, 1995, ISBN
0-964-36000-4.  (I recently found the soft cover version remaindered for $6,
Amazon.com has the hard cover version for $17.50 + shipping).  She provides
redacted recipes, discusses how hot the oven should be, etc.

HL Aeddan ap Trahaearn           | Email: shore at dcainc.com
Shire of Mooneschadowe
Kingdom of Ansteorra