SC - whipped cream

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 08:34:21 PDT 1997

<< While looking for herbs for my garden, I was told that anise only grows in
 tropical climes,<snip>

Many common garden plants are "tropical' in nature. The designation of a herb
as tropical does not neccesarily imply that you can not grow it in
non-tropical gardens.

<< <snip>And there is Star Anise, which is used in asian cooking >>

Star Anise is not a member of the anise family. It comes from a shrub.

<<They are both kinda sweet smelling and licorice-ie like fennel, so there
are probably a variety of things that would taste and smell similar. >>

IMHO, using substitutes is not a good idea unless all other avenues have been
pursued. Licorice tastes like anise in much the same way as rabbit tastes
like chicken. Substitutions can and sometimes must be used but ultimately to
a trained palette tthe taste is radically different from the original
ingredient.

Lord Ras