SC - I'm baaack!

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Tue Aug 19 13:36:48 PDT 1997

I can't add much to what Da Spice Guy in Seattle said about saffron, but
safflower really doesn't substitute where flavor is concerned.  And it
doesn't look much like saffron.  The safflower I've seen is often sold
by food companies catering to the Mexican-American market, often
labelled "azafran", and sold for only a few dollars an ounce; it looks
like whole dried flowers about 1 cm long, rather than like "threads"
of 2-5 cm.  It has roughly the same coloring effect as saffron, but no
aroma or flavor to speak of.
					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu