SC - Re: Yams/Sweet Potatoes

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 20 04:16:35 PDT 1997

Marisa Herzog wrote:

>                       cream
> 8/19/97
>
> In "Pleyn Delite" I ran across a small note before a custard recipe,
> which
> says basically that whipped cream was impossible in medieval cooking.
> Why?  Is there some process that makes cream whipable that is a modern
> thing?
> Or is the author making an assumption about medieval techniques and
> utensils?
> I have not been able to find any other references regarding this in my
> humble
> library.
> curious
> -brid

There's a recipe for A Dyshheful of Snowe that calls for whipping cream
and beating egg whites.  It gives a description of making a whip from
green wood, cutting it quarterly down the length so that it will whip
the ingredients.  I've used it often (though I use a Kitchenaid), and
serve it with apples and gingerbread cookies.  I'll hunt down the recipe
if anyone is interested.

Rosalinde
- --
Rosalinde De Witte/Donna Kenton * donna at dabbler.com *