SC - Cuts of Meat

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 21 10:54:39 PDT 1997

> Custard Tart
> Make a little crust as I said in the section on rolls. Put in two egg
> yolks that have been well-beaten, milk, cinnamon and sugar, and stir
> it near the hearth until it thickens. This is praised by Cassius, and
> not without some cause, for it is of considerable and good
> nourishment, helps those suffering from consumption and hectic fever.
> It helps the stomach, liver, and kidneys, increases fertility and
> fattens the body.
>

> Apparently we here have beaten eggs adding in the milk and seasonings.
> Also he stirs this near a source of warmth. It is possible that the
> temperature of the kitchen may make a difference in how the custard
> will "bear himself up" even if we aren't talking about the much higher
> temperatures o fhte hearth? It can get quite warm in Italy and a

Well, just a comment - at Pennsic this year I was the head cook for the
"Pavillion of Decedence" tm (ok - ONLY cook).  Amoungst the non-period
things requested was a dare from a friend that I couldn't make Creme
Brulee.  They were wrong:

2c heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
1/2c sugar
4 egg yolks

Combine the yolks and sugar (I beat this a little but not much)
Add cream and vanilla bean
Cook over low heat until it thickens to the point of just melted ice cream.
Pour into cups (WITH COVERS if you do this in a cooler)
Chill
Sprinkle on brown sugar
Blow torch to carmellize (it was a little kitchen blow torch...)

Anyway, your comments led me to think of the 3rd step above.  It got
VERY thick when cooked.....since you are cooking it slowly over low
heat, I see no reason you couldn't accomplish something similar near a
hearth.....

Just a thought
Ruadh
(who WILL use block ice next time, if only for the flat surface....duh)
(This head cook thing thought is a GREAT deal if you have other people
who will 1) do the cleanup and 2) BUY everything....)
- --