SC - Meats

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Aug 21 12:28:49 PDT 1997

> Melissa Martines wrote:
> >      I am cooking a Coronation
> >      feast that will include grilled beef as one of the courses.
>
> >      What cut of meat should I try to buy that would be relatively cheap,
> >      but not tough?

One of my favorite dishes (non period, but what the hey) is painfully
thinly sliced and marinated eye round steak really quickly grilled.
Because it's so flat, people tend to eat less pieces because they seem bigger.
(The vietnamese resteraunts often do this with a wine vinegar, ginger
and lemongrass marinade (YUMM!) and serve it raw to the table with
little hibachi's in the center for you to cook your meat to your
liking on.  More table work, but it could be fun.....anyone know if
they ever cooked anything at the table short of cutting hunks off roasting
meats at a camp fire in period?)

Now if you are going for the hunk-o-meat kind of thing, I love
top rounds - flavorful, less expensive, lower-fat...also excellent
done in a marinade - you can then serve them london-broil style
with them sliced across the grain, which further tenderizes and also
portion controls.  I find that in thicker cuts they are more tender
then eye round steaks.

The advantage of the later is that the middle will be more rare and
the edges more well done, so that you can let people get something
closer to what they like.  Once again, I don't know how period that
cutting and serving tecnique would be.

I guess that brings up my question - in period did they "grill" meat?
I know they roasted it (usually on a spit), baked it, fried it, stewed
it and poached it, but i don't recall off hand seeing grilling.

Now, you may not care for your coronation feast - please don't take
offense - I was just wondering.

> Sight unseen, and everything being equal, I'd be inclined to recommend
> top or eye rounds, though.

I'm with Master A. here - good cuts, low waste, good taste that are
reasonably tender, lower in fat content and reasonably priced!

Best of luck!
Ruadh
- --