SC - capers

Stephanie Rudin rudin at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Aug 22 15:30:33 PDT 1997

Mercedes asked:

>     This makes me remember that I've been wondering if capers are period?
>     Does anyone know?

The answer is yes. Capers were discussed on this list back in May. I
have some of those messages in this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND
SPICES section of Stefan's Florilegium:

capers-msg         (9K)  5/14/97    Use of capers in medieval food.

The comments mentioned one late-period recipe in English and that
they were more common in Italian and sourthern cooking but that
they didn't know if they were mentioned in period recipes from
that area.

My files are at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

I would love to have more comments. I think I posted the original
question about them.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com