SC - capers

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Tue Aug 26 17:44:29 PDT 1997

Anne-Marie said:

>The earliest reference I know of is in la Varenne (1651, French), who
>uses them to jazz up the common medieval Sauce Robert. Yum! We had it for
>dinner last night. Mustard, vinegar, capers, green onions and butter,
>whisked till smooth. Taillevent and friends use it on fish, la Varenne
>recommends it on boar and other meats.

Oooh. Sounds delicicous! Redaction please, and original recipe(s) if
you have them.

Does the original recipe use butter? Perhaps this is another piece of
evidence supporting butter use depending upon the date of the original
messages.

What is this "common medieval Sauce Robert"? Is this really the name
for the sauce? Is it the sauce above without capers?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  markh at risc.sps.mot.com