SC - Stargate's Siege Cooking Contest

SUZANNE_POWELL SUZANNE_POWELL at aspentec.com
Wed Aug 27 12:20:53 PDT 1997

> I have been all over the internet, including the Miscellany, trying to
> research period Polish recipes...so far, zilch!  The recipes may in fact
> be out there, but they are not clearly labelled "Polish."  My original
> fantasy was Liam Neeson wearing nothing but...ooops, sorry!  My original
> fantasy was that I would find 14th or 15th century Polish recipes.  At
> this point I would happily settle for anything pre-18th century; these
> recipes are not for any SCA event, but rather to amaze and impress my
> friends Andrzej and Moniika.  Any help would be appreciated very much.

Unfortunately, I doubt I can help, and certainly not with web recipes.
I would be interested in your results though!

A couple of years ago I did a polish feast for St. Nicholas-day.  There
was an existing tradition (that the baron gave strict orders not to be
broken) that tha feast for that event included Kielbasa and Pierogi -
I just went out of my way to make sure everything else fit the theme.

The closest my research turned up was a turn-of-the-century mid-western
cookbook called something like "Old-fashioned polish recipes for an
american kitchen" (that's not the right title, but it was something like
that...)

Anyway, it was recipes written by polish immigrants to give to their kids
in the US so they wouldn't lose their heritage.  It had a lot of little
things that led me to believe these recipes hadn't changed in a few
hundred years, but no documentation.

The best recipe I made out of it was a variation on Czarnina (sp?) which
is "Duck's Blood Soup" - now, obviously unless I take up butchering my
own poultry, I have no way to get the blood (although it did give excellent
advice on how to keep the blood from congealing while the soup was
cooking and had obviously made the assumption that I should know how to
kill and clean the bird myself).  However, I made a lovely soup with
duck and spare ribs (yes, it called for that) and some spices with currents
and dried cherries added in for the last few minutes, to which I added
egg drops - egg mixed with flour to thicken and dropped from the spoon
into the soup to cook up as noodles.    It got RAVE reviews.

I still can't document it and had no luck then looking for better
sources, but am looking forward to hearing about anything anyone else
found - in the meantime, i'll just keep making this soup from time to
time - it's yummy!

Ruadh

- --