SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #224

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Aug 1 05:08:17 PDT 1997

Tibor and Folks:
>There is a really neat article on coffins in the latest Serve It Forth.
>
>Have you made coffins without fat?  Do they stand up?  I've made one with
>lard, that kinda stood up.  Kinda.

Coffins are one of my favorite subjects. Lard works, but butter works
better, since it hardens well when cold. If it won't stand, there are a few
things that could be wrong; A It's too warm. Chill it after making it,
before cooking. B The dough was too wet. C The fat had a higher water content.

It is permissable to wrap a waxed paper collar around a coffin and secure
with a pin before baking. This will help it retain it's shape. Coffin pastry
(hot water pastry) does not need to be terribly thin. The base of the walls
need to be slightly thicker than the top, and the top needs to be splayed
out slightly for the most structural soundness (and to aid in 'notching').

Aoife---definately late for land-grab now.
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957