SC - chicken on string (and beef)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 1 13:29:54 PDT 1997

Sabia wrote:

>         I have a question about obtaining a Good butcher, since the area I
> live in has many butcher shops, but most seem only mediocre.  What are
> some good techniques (plus an idea of what they 'really' are) that you
> could ask a perspective butcher to see if they have even heard of it.  Not
> to be suspicious but I've had some problems (here in al-Barran) with some
> shops, and I am still learning what the fancier stuff is.

Butchers (with the possible exception of the guys in the supermarket or
the butchers who work for pet food companies) almost always were taught
by someone who knows how to do this stuff. The younger guys may not know
how to do them, but frequently there is somebody's uncle or grandfather
working there part time who will have fond memories of when butchery was
a truly skilled craft. My advice is to try to find a shop that has been
a family business for a couple of generations. Look for signs that say
things like "Since 1922", etc.

Sorry to have taken so long to post a response, but just within the last
week or so I posted a long article about how to find a good butcher, so
it has taken me a while to build up a bit of enthusiasm on that topic
again. If I can find it I will send it to you privately.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com