SC - chicken on string (and beef)

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Fri Aug 1 14:31:44 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Concerning the Brawn in Peverade recipe, Mercedes asks:

>     What is "saynderys" translated as "saunders"?

Saunders is a spice (and coloring agent); it's acually ground sandalwood.
It comes in three varieties: red, yellow, and brown.  Whenever possible,
use the red.

There is no good substitute.

(I rather suspect that "saynderys" was a typo for "saunderys", but I
transcribed the recipe ages ago, and my copy of Austin is currently still
packed from the move, so I can't check.)

I've bought it from a food co-op, so some ordinary places carry it; but
most of my current supply, I picked up at a past Pennsic (and it's time to
replace what's left).  If nobody near you carries it, probably one of the
major suppliers that handles mail order does.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry