Re- SC - chicken on string

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Fri Aug 1 17:22:47 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Stefan asks:

>1)What is "par-boiling"?

Partial boiling.  That is, boil, but only for a little bit.  Usually
half to three-quarters done, depending what you're going to do next.

>2)If potatos are out because they are not period, what were
>the period root vegetables? Turnips? (blech), carrots?

Turnips don't deserve their bad press (partly bought, I think, through
confusion -- including in supermarkets -- with rutabagas, and partly
through people using them when they've gotten softish and wrinkled,
at which point they're also bitter).  They are lovely and sweet
when fresh.

Carrots are period, but were rare.  (How rare is indicated by the
Menagier describing them in detail to his young wife, in case she
didn't know what they were.)  Parsnips are another (hugely underrated)
option.  So are water parsnips (the primary candidate for "skirrets"),
but they're rare in the US at least.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry