Re- SC - chicken on string

Melissa Hicks meliora at macquarie.matra.com.au
Tue Aug 5 04:35:27 PDT 1997

At 07:22 PM 1/08/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi, Katerine here.  Stefan asks:

{SNIP}

>Carrots are period, but were rare.  (How rare is indicated by the
>Menagier describing them in detail to his young wife, in case she
>didn't know what they were.)  Parsnips are another (hugely underrated)
>option.  So are water parsnips (the primary candidate for "skirrets"),
>but they're rare in the US at least.

In all my modern herb books I cannot find 'skirrets' except one...which
describes a herb with an edible root which was highly prized by the Romans
and which has the botanical name:
Sium Sisarum.  Any ideas anyone?

Gerard has no mention of 'skirrets' but does mention 'skirrets of peru'
which looks remarkably like the humble 'Spud'.  He mentions its serving
Roasted in the fire and then either sopped in wine or served with Olive Oil,
Salt and Vinegar "as you like it...". Yum.

Also I can understand that carrot (daucus carota) is a white-flowered
umbellifae, which have a reputation of being hard to identify from each
other and contain in the familiy such plants as hemlock.  In collecting wild
carrots, one would have to have a little nerve.

Now that I've stuck my foot out, would somone like to place it in my mouth.....

Yours Humbly,

Drake Morgan,
Politarchopolis.