SC - saffron substitute was-Adv

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Tue Aug 5 07:55:24 PDT 1997

 ------ From: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG, Tue, Aug 5, 1997 ------

>Gracious Lady, unfortunately the recipe calls for quite a bit of saffron, 1/2

>teaspoon of threads.  I do have some at home and 1/2 teaspoon is about half
of
>the quantity in my little tube.  I'm not really looking for a substitute for
the
>flavor of saffron but more for a substitute of an appropriate spice that
would
>have been used in a dish like this.   I'll start my list with cinnamon.  I am

>making a practice run on the recipe this weekend and I think that I can just
>split the sauce into small portions and add a different alternate spice to
each
>portion and see what kind of flavor I get.

A half a teaspoon of threads really is a lot.  Saffron is a spice in which a
little goes a long way.  Might I suggest that you use the saffron (not the
quantity called for, but say, a dozen threads) and then see how it tastes?  If
it is not strong enough, then add a blend of spices suggested from the list.
At least then you should get some of the saffron taste (which goes quite well
with cinnamon and tumeric).

>Mercedes
>rudin at okway.okstate.edu

Derdriu