SC - Another Novice Recipe Challenge

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Tue Aug 5 10:08:16 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Mairi asks whether perhaps onions were parboiled to
avoid tearing.  Unlikely on two counts: first, the medievals were far
less averse to the physical inconveniences of cookery than we are, and
we don't do that.  Second, they do it even when they're using them
whole.

It's rather more likely either something to do with a difference in the
onions (then versus now) or a difference in what they wanted from them.
Raw onions are predominantly sharp; parboiled are predominantly sweet.
They may have been going for the sweet effect.

But the bottom line is that I plain don't know.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry