SC - Mincing onions

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 5 14:25:02 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Gunthar said:
>
> >Parboiling would leech out much of the acids of the onion but still
> retain
> some of the
> >"crunch" as well as some of the acids from the center.
>
> Do you mean that if I parboil my onions first I can eliminate the
> fumes which
> make
> my eyes water?

Good Stefan,

Another trick to "disarm" those noisesome onions is to place them in the
freezer or ice water for about 10 minutes before chopping.  The volitile
oils become more viscous and less likely to spew forth when cut.  This
works exceedingly well and requires no special equipment (apart from
ice).

fra niccolo